Euromedia24 on Play Store Euromedia24 on App Sore
BNB

$870.47

BTC

$113082

ADA

$0.868816

ETH

$4608.63

SOL

$213.76

31 °

Yerevan

20 °

Moscow

45 °

Dubai

20 °

London

26 °

Beijing

23 °

Brussels

16 °

Rome

23 °

Madrid

BNB

$870.47

BTC

$113082

ADA

$0.868816

ETH

$4608.63

SOL

$213.76

31 °

Yerevan

20 °

Moscow

45 °

Dubai

20 °

London

26 °

Beijing

23 °

Brussels

16 °

Rome

23 °

Madrid

Australia doubles fines for children breaking social media ban



The Australian government has announced plans to double the maximum fines for violating the minimum age of social media users to 99 million Australian dollars (about 64 million US dollars), BBC News reported.

Under the updated legislation, the eSafety Commissioner will also have the right to request evidence from social platforms about the measures taken to comply with the law.

From December 2025, there will be a ban on using 10 major social platforms for users under the age of 16 in Australia. However, as the authorities admit, a significant number of teenagers continue to access these services.

Investigations have already been launched into five platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok and YouTube regarding possible non-compliance with the rules.

Although the initiative received wide attention when it was launched, its implementation has been difficult. In February, BBC reporters visited a Sydney school where most students who had used social media before the ban came into effect said they still had access to it.

According to a report by the regulator eSafety Commission, around seven in ten children under the age of 16 who previously had social media accounts still retain "some access" to the platforms.

The government's announcement states that the stiffening of the fines reflects the intention to "intensify the pressure on those platforms that do not operate sufficiently to ensure compliance with the law." It is also emphasized that the expansion of the powers of the regulator will allow to conduct more effective investigations and apply coercive measures.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he welcomed global interest in the initiative, but expressed concern that tech companies were "not doing enough" to enforce restrictions and continue to allow children to use social media.

Australian Communications Minister Annika Wells also said she was not satisfied with the companies' efforts, saying they were using "typical tricks of big tech corporations" and were limited to the bare minimum.

In recent months, a number of countries, including the United Kingdom, have announced plans to introduce similar restrictions. In June 2026, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced plans to ban access to social media for children under the age of 16, and the law is expected to come into effect by spring 2027.


News

Important
The election of the chairman of the permanent parliamentary committee on education issues is being discussed at the NA session
There will be no water for 24 hours
Expropriation of immovable and movable properties, about 194 million drams, from the former head of the Gugark department of SRC. prosecutor's office
Flooded basements, broken trees, bent power poles. what is the situation in Gyumri?
Trump: An agreement between Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan unites the Middle East
Toyota, Tesla and Alfa Romeo are recalling hundreds of thousands of vehicles due to dangerous defects
Iran will resume flights from Tabriz to Yerevan
An emergency bushfire warning in Britain has put victims of domestic violence at risk
DIRECTLY: The first session of the ninth NA convocation. hot speeches
Astrologers have named three signs that will have a white streak starting August 17
In Georgia, they told about the fraud scheme of crossing the border with Armenia
August 17 horoscope. What do the stars suggest today?
Abrahamyan: "Crossroads of Peace" forgotten while Aliyev talks about the new status of Nakhichevan
Ukrainian missile attack on Belgorod. 6 victims, including civilians
Vardan Voskanyan: The involvement of Azerbaijani "experts" in the territory of Armenia is an insult to the sovereignty
Broken branches, bent power poles and flooded basements. There is an emergency situation in Gyumri
What is the situation in Lars and on RA highways?
Showers and thunderstorms are expected
There will be no light in hundreds of addresses on Monday
Eight countries, including Turkey, have accused Israel of thwarting Trump's plan to end the war in Gaza

More News

...

Trump: An agreement between Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan unites the Middle East

Iran will resume flights from Tabriz to Yerevan

An emergency bushfire warning in Britain has put victims of domestic violence at risk

In Georgia, they told about the fraud scheme of crossing the border with Armenia

Ukrainian missile attack on Belgorod. 6 victims, including civilians

Eight countries, including Turkey, have accused Israel of thwarting Trump's plan to end the war in Gaza

200 kg of gold bars and billions of liras. The details of the case of the criminal organization were revealed in Turkey

A horse-drawn cart collided with a tree in Switzerland. a 73-year-old woman was killed, there are injured

Shots were fired at a concert in Kentucky. one person was killed, two children were injured (Photos)

An earthquake occurred off the coast of Japan

A drone that violated Romania's airspace shot down a NATO fighter

A fire broke out in the warehouse of "Wildberries" in Podolsk after the fall of the ATS (video)

A scheme to deceive foreigners was discovered in Georgia. among those arrested is a Turkish citizen

Former President of Ukraine Viktor Yushchenko left for Baku

The plane made a forced landing. The reason is known

The number of people missing due to the conflict in Ukraine has reached 266,000

CSTO General Secretary. The decision regarding the prospects of Armenia's participation should be taken within a reasonable period of time

A strong protracted movement took place in Russia

After 40 years, the USA is facing a shortage of phosphorus. scientists have proposed a non-standard solution

600 drone attacks shut down three Moscow airports