Euromedia24 on Play Store Euromedia24 on App Sore
BNB

$870.47

BTC

$113082

ADA

$0.868816

ETH

$4608.63

SOL

$213.76

31 °

Yerevan

20 °

Moscow

45 °

Dubai

20 °

London

26 °

Beijing

23 °

Brussels

16 °

Rome

23 °

Madrid

BNB

$870.47

BTC

$113082

ADA

$0.868816

ETH

$4608.63

SOL

$213.76

31 °

Yerevan

20 °

Moscow

45 °

Dubai

20 °

London

26 °

Beijing

23 °

Brussels

16 °

Rome

23 °

Madrid

US charges Hamas leaders over 7 October attack on Israel


The US has charged Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar and several other prominent figures in the Palestinian group in connection with its deadly attack in Israel on 7 October last year, BBC reports. The justice department said it was indicting six Hamas members with seven charges, including the murder of dozens of US citizens, conspiracy to finance terrorism and use of weapons of mass destruction. The criminal complaint covers decades of alleged attacks by Hamas, as well as last October's unprecedented assault. It is the first step by US law enforcement to hold accountable the ringleaders of that attack, but has been seen by analysts as partly symbolic, not least because some of those named in the indictment are already dead. Meanwhile, Sinwar is believed to be hiding in tunnels somewhere under Gaza. In a video statement on Tuesday, US Attorney General Merrick Garland said the defendants were responsible for "financing and directing a decades-long campaign to murder American citizens and endanger the security of the United States". The group also "led Hamas's efforts to destroy the state of Israel and murder civilians in support of that aim", Mr Garland said. He highlighted the 7 October attack on Israel by Hamas, in which the group "murdered entire families" in "the deadliest massacre of Jews since the Holocaust". Mr Garland said: "They murdered the elderly and they murdered young children. They weaponised sexual violence against women, including rape and genital mutilation." The charges were filed in February, but were kept under wraps until Tuesday in case the US had the opportunity to arrest any of the accused, an unnamed justice department official told CBS News, the BBC's US partner. The justice department's complaint states that at least 43 American citizens were killed on 7 October. The reason for the timing of the US charges was not immediately clear, although the recent discovery in Gaza of the body of an Israeli-American hostage - and five others - might have given the move "extra impetus", one analyst told the BBC. The charges themselves were partly about the US sending "a message" to Hamas and anyone working with the group, added Prof Yossi Mekelberg, an associate fellow of the UK think tank Chatham House.

News

Rubio thanked Hungary for its role in the US-founded Peace Council
Georgia has not discussed the restoration of diplomatic relations with Russia
The end of the Ukrainian conflict will make the world a better place. Rubio
Grossi discussed the Iran-US nuclear negotiations to be held in Geneva with Araghchi
Rubio: The US does not impose an agreement on Ukraine on the parties to the conflict
At least two people were killed in a suicide bombing in northwestern Pakistan
ČTK. Ukraine, within the framework of the Czech initiative, received 4.4 million shells
Lukashenko offered Trump a way out of the situation in Venezuela
In Geneva, where the negotiations on Ukraine will take place, security measures have not been strengthened
"Arch of Lovers" collapsed in the south of Italy
The Times. In the UK, social media may be prohibited for under 16s
Szijjártó assured Rubio of Hungary's readiness to host a summit on Ukraine in Budapest
The UN will not participate in the negotiations on Ukraine in Geneva
Peskov answered the question about the Russian delegation to the Geneva negotiations
The first delegations arrived in Geneva for talks on Ukraine and Iran
The delegations participating in the negotiations on Ukraine will leave Geneva on Wednesday
Turkey is counting on the draft peace treaty for Ukraine
Orbán has said he will listen to the Hungarians and not allow Ukraine to enter the EU
Geneva Villa La Grange does not plan to hold talks on Ukraine
Ukraine received $690 million from Japan and Canada